By the end of this activity, each student will:
- deliver or participate in the preparation of one speech.
- be involved in a team work
- be introduced to using a clear structure to organize ideas
- The initial 5 minutes The teacher will describe what role play is to the class, then the necessity to debate how useful are cell phones in the class; the students will present by Brainstorming the necessity of having the cell phone each minute- or not.
- 1 minute– being beginners, any speech should last 2- 5 minutes.
- The next 5 minutes The teacher decide that the activity will take place between the 5- 6 groups of pupils. In order to avoid the unpleasant situations ( disorder, noisy etc. ) they will start numbering themselves, in order, from right to left with loud voice starting with “one”, “ two” …five; at the end they all split into groups- all the students who are “one” – gather a group, “two” gather another group and so on.
- 3 minutes– I will hand out the description of each group
G1- represent the YES pupils- they must argue why they consider cell phones as a must;
G2 – represent the YES teachers- they are not disturbed by rising cells;
G3- represent the NO students; their arguments must convince the audience that we can live without using mobiles any minute;
G4 – represents NO teachers; they are severe, in a good way; their arguments must be stronger than YES teachers group; they must give reasons why the educational process is disturbed by using cells;
G5 – represent YES parents-their children are allowed to have one or more mobiles at school ( safety- for ex);
G6- represent parents NO – from their point of view, mobiles are putting in danger their children; if there are expensive, the risk increases.
- 10 minutes – in the beginning all the 6 groups discuss the main idea/ ideas from the perspective of the role.
They all contribute with ideas- Brainstorming but only one student will present the conclusions in the front of the class. Each student will involve in his own group – but the speaker will decide on his own how to approach the topic when he will be in the front of the others.
- For 5 minutes each group is allowed to prepare their speeches and to design the representative.
- 1- 2 minute The teacher invite the student representatives to take their place in the public session and take their role seriously – for this purpose six chairs are arranged in the front of the class.
- 10 – 20 minutes the members debate for CELLS IN CLASS are obliged to come to a conclusion. After the preparation time elapsed ( 1 – 2 minutes) the public debate begin.
For a better debate session I preside over the role play, recognize speakers, maintain order. From the beginning we decided that at the end of each speech , the representative members may ask questions ( question session must last 1 minute) . The teacher introduce the additional floor speaker.
- 6 minutes – Each group will have the chance to give closing remarks ( 1 minute/ group)